Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) established the Whiteshell Laboratories complex for nuclear research during the early 1960s. A major focus of the program at Whiteshell was the WR-1 organically cooled research reactor, which was shut down in 1985. The reactor is partially decommissioned and in safe storage awaiting final decommissioning. The facilities are currently being decommissioned by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Ltd.
- Facility information
- Latest facility-specific updates
- Disclosure protocol
- In situ decommissioning of Whiteshell Reactor #1
Location: Whiteshell Laboratories is located approximately 10 km west of Pinawa and 100 km northeast of Winnipeg, on the east bank of the Winnipeg River.
Licensee: Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Ltd. (CNL)
Status: In decommissioning phase
Licence expires: December 31, 2019
Focus on safety and the environment
The CNSC is committed to protecting the safety of people and the environment. Click below for current environmental and safety performance data for the Whiteshell Laboratories.
Latest facility-specific updates
- December 19, 2019: Decision on the application by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Ltd to renew their nuclear research and test establishment decommissioning licence for Whiteshell Laboratories
- August 1, 2018: Record of Decision - Canadian Nuclear Laboratories - Application to renew the Nuclear Research and Test Establishment Decommissioning Licence for the Whiteshell Laboratories
- April 12, 2018: CNSC releases 2017 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for the Whiteshell Laboratories site. Results confirm that the public and the environment around this site are protected.
- March 8, 2017: Record of Decision on the Scope of Environmental Assessments for Three Proposed Projects at Existing Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' Facilities
As part of the CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place. View CNL’s Public Information Program on their In the Community page.
- Date modified: