Nuclear facility – Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. is a nuclear fuel fabrication facility that manufactures nuclear fuel bundles for power reactors in Canada. It is owned and operated by Cameco Corporation.
The facility is located in the Municipality of Port Hope, Ontario, situated on the north shore of Lake Ontario approximately 100 kilometres east of Toronto.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Cameco Corporation
|Port Hope, Ontario
|Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
|Nuclear fuel fabrication facility
|Processing of up to 1650 tonnes of uranium as uranium dioxide pellets, per yer
|March 1, 2023
|February 28, 2043
|Start of operation:
|Request a copy of the Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. licence and licence conditions handbook by emailing email@example.com
The Commission is an independent administrative tribunal set up at arm's length from government, without ties to the nuclear industry. Use the links below to find documents related to Commission meetings or hearings.
- January 18, 2023: News release - Commission renews Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. Class IB nuclear fuel facility licence for its facility for a 20-year period
- Public Commission hearing Documents for November 23, 2022
- September 6, 2022: Revised Notice of Public Hearing and Participant Funding: Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. (CFM) - Request for licence renewal
- March 7, 2022: Notice of Public Hearing and Participant Funding – Application from Cameco Corporation on behalf of Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. (CFM) for the renewal of the licence for the CFM facility
- February 14, 2022: Record of Decision - Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
The CNSC posts regulatory enforcement actions taken to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment. Use the links below to find out more about any orders or penalties that have been placed on this licensee, if any.
- No recent regulatory actions
Licensees must report events and incidents involving licensed activities that could impact the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment to the CNSC. Use the links below to find any information provided by this licensee, if any, as well as other public disclosures made by licensees.
- July 23, 2020: Events Reporting: Uranium Processing and Fuel Fabrication Facilities - Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Notice of Webinar: September 14, 2022 - Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Licence Renewal Application
Protecting Canadians and the environment
The CNSC uses information provided by licensees to create our own reports assessing the environmental effects of nuclear facilities or licensed activities.
- Environmental Protection Review report summary: Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
- CNSC’s environmental monitoring: Independent environmental monitoring results collected by the CNSC
- Environmental risk assessment: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy
- Cameco Fuel Manufacturing environmental incidents : Available on Cameco’s website
- Federal, provincial and municipal monitoring programs: List of monitoring programs managed by other levels of government
- Radionuclide releases: Nuclear Processing Facilities dataset in the Open Government catalogue for information on releases from this facility
Health and safety
The CNSC oversees licensee emergency planning and works with other levels of government to ensure the health and safety of Canadians. We also conduct and review health studies on various areas associated with the production, possession or use of nuclear substances.
- CNSC health studies on Canadian nuclear facilities: Relevant health studies of nuclear reactors regulated by the CNSC
- Regulatory Oversight Report – Uranium and Nuclear Substance Processing Facilities
- Date modified: