CNSC Participant Funding Program decision - Sagkeeng First Nation's socio-cultural impacts assessment study (fear and avoidance) in relation to Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' Whiteshell Laboratories site and the project for in situ decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has offered funding under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) for general matters of regulatory interest to Sagkeeng First Nation to conduct a socio-cultural impacts assessment study (fear and avoidance) in relation to Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ Whiteshell Laboratories site and the proposed project for in situ decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1.
The information gathered from the study will be included in a relevant Commission member document and presented directly to the Commission.
The CNSC made PFP support available to:
- enhance Indigenous and stakeholder participation in the CNSC’s environmental assessment and licensing processes
- help Indigenous peoples, the public and stakeholders bring valuable information to the Commission
A Funding Review Committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding application received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on the allocation of funding to the applicant.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Vancouver office
- Steve Burgess, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Bruce Young, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
The FRC reviewed the PFP application received by the CNSC, requesting a total of $49,574.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC carefully considered the FRC’s recommendation on the allocation of participant funding for Sagkeeng First Nation, and approved the reimbursement of up to $49,574.
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Sagkeeng First Nation
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: