Participant Funding Program decision – Application from New Brunswick Power Corporation to renew Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station licence
The CNSC announced on August 16, 2021, it was offering a total of $100,000 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP). This funding was to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public, and stakeholders to participate in the Commission hearing process for the application from New Brunswick Power Corporation (NB Power) to renew its Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station power reactor operating licence.
The CNSC made PFP support available:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in participating in the licence application review and the Commission’s public hearing process for NB Power’s application to renew the Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station licence
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator, and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $100,000 for eligible applicants. The FRC was given the flexibility to recommend funding beyond $100,000 based on the value-added of the funding applications received.
The FRC members were:
- Steve Burgess, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- Yves Leboeuf, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency vice-president of operations
- Kurt Saunders, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- James Taylor, retired Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada senior advisor
The FRC met to review 8 PFP applications requesting a total of $260,211.18. Â
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details about eligibility and funding criteria, read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for NB Power’s application to renew the Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station licence and has approved the reimbursement of up to $176,741.98 to the following recipients:
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Dr. Helmy Ragheb
|Passamaquoddy Recognition Group Inc.
|Canadian Environmental Law Association
|Wolastoqey Nation in New Brunswick
|Mi'gmawe'I Tplu'taqnn Incorporated
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: