Participant Funding Program decision – BWXT Medical Ltd.'s application for a Class IB nuclear substance processing facility operating licence
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced on November 18, 2020, that it was offering a total of $75,000 through its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public and stakeholders in reviewing the BWXT Medical Ltd. (BWXT Medical) application for a Class IB nuclear substance processing facility operating licence and in participating in the Commission hearing process.
Participant funding was made available by the CNSC to:
- provide new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- assist interested parties in reviewing the licence application and in participating in the Commission hearing process for BWXT Medical
A funding review committee (FRC), independent of the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on allocating up to $75,000 to eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Vancouver office
- Steve Burgess, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Bruce Young, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
On January 26, 2021, the FRC met to review 5 PFP applications received by the CNSC, totalling $126,036.95.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for BWXT Medical’s application for a Class IB nuclear substance processing facility operating licence and has approved reimbursements of up to $68,199.95 for the following recipients:
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Algonquins of Pikwakanagan First Nation
|Algonquins of Ontario
|Women in Nuclear
|Kebaowek First Nation
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: