Participant Funding Program decision – Application from Cameco Corporation to amend waste facility operating licence for the Beaverlodge Project
The CNSC announced on August 9, 2021, it was offering a total of $75,000 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP). This funding was to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public, and stakeholders to participate in the Commission hearing process for the application from Cameco Corporation (Cameco) application to amend its waste facility operating licence for the Beaverlodge Project.
The CNSC made PFP support available:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in participating in the licence application review and the Commission’s public hearing process for Cameco’s application to amend waste facility operating licence for the Beaverlodge Project
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator, and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $75,000 for eligible applicants. The FRC was given the flexibility to recommend funding beyond $75,000 based on the value-added of the funding applications received.
The FRC members were:
- Bruce Young, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- Yves Leboeuf, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency vice-president of operations
- Kurt Saunders, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- James Taylor, retired Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada senior advisor
The FRC met to review 3 PFP applications requesting a total of $90,700.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details about eligibility and funding criteria, read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for Cameco’s application to amend waste facility operating licence for the Beaverlodge Project and has approved the reimbursement of up to $78,150 to the following recipients:
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Ya’thi Néné Land and Resource Office
|Saskatchewan Environmental Society
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: