CNSC Participant Funding Program decision ‒ Black River First Nation and Hollow Water First Nation's continued participation in the environmental assessment process for Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' proposed project for in situ decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has offered funding under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) for general matters of regulatory interest to Black River First Nation and Hollow Water First Nation for their continued participation in the environmental assessment process related to Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ proposed project for in situ decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1.
The information gathered will be included in a relevant Commission member document and presented directly to the Commission.
The CNSC made PFP support available to:
- enhance Indigenous and stakeholder participation in the CNSC’s environmental assessment and licensing processes
- help Indigenous peoples, the public and stakeholders bring valuable information to the Commission
A Funding Review Committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding application received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on the allocation of funding to the applicant.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Vancouver office
- Bruce Young, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Steve Burgess, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
The FRC reviewed the PFP application received by the CNSC.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC carefully considered the FRC’s recommendation on the allocation of participant funding for Black River First Nation and Hollow Water First Nation, and approved the reimbursement of up to $70,000.
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Black River First Nation
Hollow Water First Nation
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: