Participant Funding Program decision - Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ 1-year licence renewal application for the Port Granby Project
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced on February 1, 2021, that it was offering a total of $30,000 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public, and stakeholders to participate in the Commission hearing process for the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ (CNL’s) 1-year licence renewal application for the Port Granby Project.
The CNSC made PFP support available:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in participating in the licence application review and the Commission’s public hearing process for CNL’s licence application
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator, and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $30,000 for eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- Mr. Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency’s Vancouver office
- Mr. Bruce Young, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Mr. Steve Burgess, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
The FRC reviewed the 3 funding applications received by the CNSC, requesting a total of $30,566.44.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for CNL’s 1-year licence renewal process for the Port Granby Project and has approved the reimbursement of up to $23,596.44 for the following recipients.
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities||$6,970|
|Curve Lake First Nation||$8,800|
|Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte||$7,826.44|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: