Participant Funding Program decision – Regulatory Oversight Report on the Use of Nuclear Substances in Canada: 2021
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced on April 4, 2022, that it was offering up to $7,500 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist Indigenous Nations and communities, members of the public and stakeholders in reviewing CNSC staff’s Regulatory Oversight Report on the Use of Nuclear Substances in Canada: 2021, and in submitting written comments to the Commission. In addition, in the spirit of reconciliation and in recognition of the Indigenous oral tradition of sharing knowledge, the CNSC is offering Indigenous intervenors the opportunity to make oral presentations.
The CNSC made participant funding available:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the Commission through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in reviewing CNSC staff’s report and in submitting written comments to the Commission
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $7,500 for eligible applicants. The FRC was given the flexibility to recommend funding beyond $7,500 based on the value-added nature of the funding applications received.
The FRC members were:
- Bruce Young, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Yves Leboeuf, retired vice-president of operations, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Kurt Saunders, retired director, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
On June 27, 2022, the FRC met to review the 2 PFP applications received, requesting a total of $11,940.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details about eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding and approved the reimbursement of up to $10,000 to the following recipients:
|Maximum amount of available funding
|Canadian Environmental Law Association
|Nuclear Transparency Project
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: