In situ decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor # 1
The Impact Assessment Act (IAA) came into force August 28, 2019. Ongoing projects with environmental assessments initiated under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) and led by the CNSC, will continue under their current processes. The IAA contains provisions to enable these projects to advance in this way.
Visit the Canadian Impact Assessment Registry (CIAR) website for all information and documentation related to the project.
- April 30, 2020 – CNL submission of revised draft EIS and responses to federal and provincial information requests deemed incomplete
- September 2019 – Administrative Protocol between Canadian Nuclear Laboratories and the CNSC for the Whiteshell Laboratories Proposed In Situ Decommissioning of the WR-1 Reactor (PDF) (Revision 1)
- Appendix A (PDF) (Revision 3)
- March 2019 - Participant Funding for In Situ Decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor-1 Project
- August 1, 2018 - Record of Decision - Canadian Nuclear Laboratories - Application to renew the Nuclear Research and Test Establishment Decommissioning Licence for the Whiteshell Laboratories
- April 3, 2018 – In situ Decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1 Project – Update on the status of the environmental assessment process (source: CEAA website)
- January 5, 2018 – Review of CNL's Draft Environmental Impact Statement Completed (source: CEAA website)
- October 17, 2017 – Canada's nuclear regulator invites you to open houses in Winnipeg, Pinawa and Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba (source: CEAA website)
- October 5, 2017 – Public comments invited on draft environmental impact statement for In Situ Decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1 Project (source: CEAA website)
- September 21, 2017 – Upcoming public comment period for In Situ Decommissioning of the Whiteshell Reactor #1 Project
- March 8, 2017 – Record of Decision on the Scope of Environmental Assessments for Three Proposed Projects at Existing Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' Facilities
- June 3, 2016 – Notice of Participant Funding Offering (PFP Decision Report)
- June 2, 2016 – Public Comments Invited on Project Description (source: CEAA website)
- May 16, 2016 – Notice of Commencement of an Environmental Assessment (source: CEAA website)
The public registry for this project is maintained on the CIAR. If you wish to receive email notifications when the CNSC’s website is updated, including notices for hearings, meetings and PFP funding opportunities, subscribe to the CNSC mailing list. For questions or information directly related to this EA, contact:
Environmental Assessment Officer
Environmental Assessment Division
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
P. O. Box 1046, Station B
Telephone: 613-943-9920 or 1-800-668-5284
Or contact the CNSC.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect health, safety, security and the environment, and to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- Date modified: