Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences – 2013-2014
As required by the Treasury Board Directive on Travel, Hospitality, Conference and Event Expenditures, this report provides information on the total annual expenditures for each of travel, hospitality and conferences for the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. It also provides explanations for variances from the previous fiscal year in each of these areas.
Expenditures on travel, hospitality and conferences incurred by federal departments and agencies are directly related to supporting departmental mandate(s) and the government’s priorities.
In particular, for the CNSC, this includes the delivery of the following core programs and/or services to Canadians:
- regulating the development, production and use of nuclear energy in Canada to protect health, safety and the environment
- regulating the production, possession, use and transport of nuclear substances, and the production, possession and use of prescribed equipment and prescribed information
- implementing measures respecting international control of the development, production, transport and use of nuclear energy and substances, including measures respecting the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons and nuclear explosive devices
- disseminating scientific, technical and regulatory information concerning the CNSC’s activities, pertaining to the development, production, possession, transport and use of nuclear substances that affect the environment and the health and safety of persons
|Expenditure category||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2014 (000 $)||Expenditures for the previous year ending March 31, 2013 (000 $)||Variance
|* CNSC reports to Parliament through the Minister of Natural Resources, whose travel expenses are included in Natural Resources Canada's Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences.|
|Travel – Public servants||$4,345||$4,473||$128|
|Travel – Non-public servants||$25||$28||$3|
|International travel by Minister and Minister's staff *||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Significant variances compared to the previous fiscal year.
Public servants: Compared to fiscal year 2012–13, travel expenditures by public servants decreased, mainly because of:
A reduction of 20 full-time equivalents (FTEs) from fiscal year 2012-13 to 2013-14 due to the shutdown of the Gentilly-2 Nuclear Generating Station.
- Non-public servants: The CNSC had no significant change in relation to non-public servants travel from fiscal year 2012–13 to 2013–14.
- Minister and minister’s staff: Not applicable.
Hospitality: Compared to fiscal year 2012–13, hospitality expenditures decreased mainly because of:
The International Nuclear Regulators Association (INRA) event which incurred additional hospitality expenses was held in 2012–13.
Conference fees: Compared to fiscal year 2012–13, conference fees expenditures remained the same.
- Date modified: