Chalk River: National Research Universal (NRU) Reactor Events
- AECL Status Updates and Chalk River Information Bulletins (source: AECL Web site)
- NRU Reactor Diagram
Read about the shutdown and the restart of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited’s National Research Universal (NRU) reactor in Chalk River, Ontario.
- December 2010: Protocol for NRU Licensing Activities (Revision 2)
- November 2010: Report of the Standing Committee on Natural Resources: National Research Universal Reactor Shutdown and the Future of Medical Isotope Production and Research in Canada (PDF) (source: House of Commons Web site)
- August 25, 2010: Record of Proceedings - Atomic Energy of Canada Limited - Request for the Approval of the Return to Service of the National Research Universal (NRU) Reactor (PDF)
- July 7, 2010: CNSC authorizes restart of NRU reactor
July 5, 2010: Public hearing regarding the restart of the NRU
- February 25, 2010: CNSC monitoring recent events at Chalk River Laboratories
- January 2010: Protocol for the Restart of the NRU Reactor (Revision 1)
- August 12, 2009: August 12, 2009:Joint Statement from the Minister of Natural Resources and the Minister of Health on Extended NRU Shutdown (source: NRCan Web site)
- July 8, 2009
- July 8, 2009:Joint Statement from the Minister of Natural Resources and the Minister of Health on Extended NRU Shutdown (source: NRCan Web site)
- Backgrounder: Government of Canada actions to address the medical isotope shortage (source: NRCan Web site)
- June 4, 2009: Notes for Remarks by Michael Binder, President and CEO Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission to the Standing Committee of the House of Commons on Natural Resources
May 28, 2009
- Government of Canada moves forward on restructuring Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (source: NRCan Web site)
- Government of Canada announces expert review panel for long-term isotope supply solutions (source: NRCan Web site)
- May 27, 2009: Statement by the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, P.C., M.P., Minister of Health and the Honourable Lisa Raitt, P.C., M.P., Minister of Natural Resources - Shutdown of Reactor Further Extended (source: NRCan Web site)
- May 21, 2009: Statement by the Minister of Natural Resources about the temporary shutdown of the National Research Universal (NRU) reactor (source: NRCan Web site)
- May 19, 2009: Statement by Minister of Natural Resources and Minister of Health on NRU Reactor Shutdown (source: NRCan Web site)
- May 19, 2009: CNSC Statement on NRU Reactor Shutdown posted to CNSC's Web site homepage
On May 14, due to a loss of electrical power, the NRU reactor at AECL’s Chalk River facility was safely shut down. Subsequently, on May 15, the CNSC was notified of AECL’s discovery of a small heavy water leak.
As good practice in safety culture, AECL decided to keep the reactor shut down to identify the source of the leak and investigate various repair options. CNSC agrees with AECL’s decision.
Preliminary findings by both organizations have determined that there is no impact on health or safety from the leak. CNSC on-site staff is monitoring the situation. The CNSC continues to maintain regulatory oversight of the CRL facilities and will respond as necessary to protect the health, safety, security of Canadians and the environment. As per established communications protocol, AECL will continue to provide the CNSC with regular updates on the event.
As per normal procedure, CNSC staff and AECL representatives will appear before a public meeting of the Commission on June 11 to provide detailed findings and a status report on the event.
- May 15, 2009: The CNSC was notified of a small heavy water leak at Chalk River Laboratories. Preliminary findings - no impact on health or safety from the leak. CNSC staff on site are monitoring the situation. Further information is available on AECL's Web site.
- March and April 2009: Correspondence between Dr. Gordon Edwards of the Tritium Awareness Project and the CNSC about the December 5, 2008 contained lead at the Chalk River NRU reactor
- February 24, 2009: Presentation by President Michael Binder to the Standing Committee of the House of Commons on Natural Resources
- February 23, 2009: Notice of February 22, 2009 Leak at NRU
- February 19, 2009: CNSC staff and AECL update Commission Members on December 2008 events at National Research Universal Reactor
- February 5, 2009: CNSC Report to Minister of Natural Resources regarding recent events at National Research Universal (NRU) Reactor
- January 28, 2009 CNSC Statement about leaks at NRU facility
- May 2008: Report submitted to the Minister of Health by the Ad Hoc Health Experts Working Group on Medical Isotopes (source: Health Canada Web site)
- April 10, 2008: CNSC resumes full regulatory oversight of NRU reactor
- April 2, 2008: Public Meeting
February 21, 2008: Public Meeting
- February 21, 2008: AECL/NRU Reactor Significant Development Report (PDF)
- Transcript (PDF)
- January 9, 2008: Public Meeting
- January 8, 2008
- December 27, 2007: Letter from Minister Lunn to President Keen (PDF)
- December 26, 2007: Directive to CNSC regarding the health of Canadians by the Governor in Council (source: Canada Gazette)
- December 15, 2007: Lessons learned: Purpose, Scope and Approach
- December 12, 2007: Debate in the Senate (source: Hansard Transcripts)
- December 11, 2007
- December 10, 2007
- December 6, 2007: Public Meeting